In This Issue
- Principal’s Message
- SCEF News
- PTA News
- Spirit Wear
- Chickens’ Ball
- Fun, Free Parenting Workshop
- Fairy Tale Acting Class
- Rock Band Summer Camp
- Comedy Class
- Multi-Sport Summer Camp
Hello Parents and Guardians,
Homework Policy Feedback
Thank you to all of you who completed the HW Survey for our newly adopted homework policy. During the month of April we’re also holding focus groups with randomly-selected parents and students, and taking a close look at the feedback we received on our school survey. We’re also chatting in Site Council meetings and staff meetings, preparing to share a summary of our findings with Superintendent Baker later this month.
The “Yes – Homework” Policy
I’ve heard people refer to our policy as the “no homework policy”, and this isn’t the case. Our policy calls for intentional decision-making about what we’re assigning and why it’s important for an individual child’s learning. It’s a key element of our commitment to personalizing learning as outlined in our Strategic Plan.
The following key points from research and our experience are central to our policy:
- Homework assignments should be purposeful, meaningful, and tailored to the individual needs of students.
- Daily reading is key to each child’s long-term success.
- Development of organizational work habits and self-discipline are crucial. These skills can be developed in a variety of ways at home and at school, not only through the completion of homework.
- Family time, play time, and down time are important for all children.
Findings and Next Steps:
If you’d like to hear the results of our data gathering and find out about our next steps, please consider joining me for either an evening meeting on Wednesday, May 3rd at 6:30 pm or Thursday, May 4th at 8:45 am. Both meetings will be held in the Arroyo Learning Commons.
Resources to Learn More about Rethinking Homework:
- Challenge Success White Paper: Changing the Conversation About Homework from Quantity and Achievement to Quality and Engagement
- Video of Stanford Professor and Challenge Success Founder, Denise Pope
- Book Excerpt from Overloaded and Underprepared: Strategies for Stronger Schools and Healthy, Successful Kids by Denise Pope, Maureen Brown, and Sarah Miles
Other important announcements:
- This week we are sending home the results of the district writing assessment. Please look for a white envelope addressed to you, coming home on Thursday.
- 5th grade parents, please consider attending one of the CMS administrator meetings scheduled for Tuesday, April 18th at 9:00 am or 6:30 pm. Here is a link to the CMS transition events
- Weather permitting, please consider joining us for Arroyo Moves! on Tuesday before school (8:10-8:30) or come join your child for Lunch time Meet Up after school on Wednesday at 1:10 at the picnic tables
Marie Crawford, Arroyo Principal
Thank you to all who purchased Bash at the Canyon tickets. The event is SOLD OUT!
Even if you are not attending the Bash, you can still be part of the fun!
1) *New*-ONLINE AUCTION OPEN TO EVERYONE! April 19th – 27th.
Get your tickets to popular parent parties, summer getaways, event and sport tickets and more! Go to: scefkids.org/onlineauction for more information.
2) PARTICIPATE IN OUR NEW RAFFLE
For $50 you get the chance to win two (2) FRONT ROW Loge tickets (face value is $500 each) to see HAMILTON on July 29, 2017 at 8pm and a one-night stay at the San Francisco Marriott. Winner will be drawn a the SCEF Music in the Park concert on May 19, 2017. For more information go to:
3) DONATE TO THE SCEF ANNUAL FUND
Your donation makes a difference every day, for every child, in every classroom. We are over 60% to our goal of $2.5 million. Every donation counts! Go to: https://scefkids.org/donate-today/ to donate today. Thank you!
Please join us at the next PTA meeting on Wednesday, April 19th at 8:50 am in the library. We will be discussing how to simplify and fun the PTA next year. We want your input!
Did you know that the Chicken’s Ball is a long standing San Carlos tradition created to support our schools? We need a Chicken’s Ball Rep from Arroyo whose duties would include attending monthly steering committee meetings. There is one on May 8th and not another one until September. If you are interested, please contact Megan Miller at email@example.com.
Spring Spirit Wear Sale
The Arroyo School spring spirit wear sale is here! Order your Arroyo gear online at https://centralarroyopta. myschoolcentral.com. (Please note this link is best used in browsers other than Safari). The sale will take place now through April 28th. Questions? Please contact Jen Pedrotti at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Thank you to all the volunteers who watered the garden over spring break. Our seedlings are growing beautifully and we are excited about our first ever Seedling Sale on the Saturday before Mother’s Day. Mark your calendar now!
1. The Chickens’ Ball Steering Committee needs two representatives from each school. The first meeting will be on May 8 at the home of Danika Stanley, 281 Fairmont (corner of Pearl).
2. It’s not too late to form a group to write a skit! Skits are due on September 29. If you want help or would like further information about writing a Chickens’ Ball melodrama or variety skit, please call Mona Klein, at (650) 594-0615, to get a quick “Chickens’ Ball Skit 101” session. You can also join an existing skit! Auditions will be held in the Heather School MUR on November 16, from 6:00 to 9:00, and November 18, from 10:00 to noon.
Fun, Free Parenting Workshop
Conscious Parenting workshop provides practical life skills and transformational tools to empower you to break free from limiting situations so you can…
- Form deeper and more authentic connections with your children,
- Reduce stress and anxiety to create greater joy and harmony in your family, and
- Understand your child’s development and how to best support their growth
Fairy Tale Acting Class
Imaginations soar as students ages 8-13 create their own version of Hansel and Gretel by adding fun plot twists, settings (the beach?) and new characters. Working as a team, actors write and perform a one-of-a-kind script blending in movement and music along the way. During final two classes, students perform their fractured fairy tale locally. They’ll never forget the thrill of performing a theater piece they created! 8 Friday classes 4/21-6/9. Get Details: www.SanCarlosChildrensTheater.com
Rock Band Summer Camp with Hummingbird Music
Explore the world of music this summer! Hummingbird Music School, in partnership with SMART-E, is offering Rock Band Summer Camp at Arroyo through the month of July. Campers will together form a band, attend daily instrument lessons and band rehearsals, participate in music workshops, and perform with their band in a live showcase at the end of the week! Sign up to learn either guitar, bass, drums, keyboard, horns/woodwinds, or vocals. More info at http://hummingbirdmusicschool.com/summer-camp/
Comedy Class for Ages 10-14
Create funny scenes with no script, but lots of imagination in the spring class MAKE ‘EM LAUGH, with San Carlos Children’s Theater. Using the basics of improvisation and slapstick, students quickly learn how to think creatively on their feet, play off what other characters are saying, and make the audience laugh. It’s six weeks of wacky fun! Final class features an improv performance for friends and family. Class starts this week. Late sign ups OK. Info: www.SanCarlosChildrensTheater.com
Multi-Sport Madness Summer Camp
Our multi-sport camp is a great way for children to have fun, be active, and learn new sports! This camp welcomes children of all skill levels ages 8-12 years. Participants will enjoy a variety of sports throughout the day including basketball, soccer, dodgeball, and capture the flag! Each week we will go on a field trip which involves staying active and having fun! Register online at www.cityofsancarlos.org/register
Community posts are not affiliated with or sponsored by SCSD.
Visit the Arroyo website Community Corner to learn more about the following:
- Susan Jackson Piano Lessons
- Skyhawks Summer Sports Camps
- Gigamind Summer Camp
- T-Sports Baseball and Softball Camps!
- “Narnia: The Musical” is coming to a stage nea
- Join Our Summer Writing Classes