In This Issue
- Principal’s Message
- Science Fair Workshop #5
- Shop & Support SCEF
- New Guitar Classes at Arroyo
- San Carlos Children’s Theater Auditions
- After School Enrichment Classes
Hello Arroyo Parents and Guardian,
I am very excited to highlight some great events and learning opportunities that are going on at Arroyo:
- We are starting to complete our first PBLs with showcase events such as the California Regions PBLs in many of the 4th grade classes. Our student ambassadors will be hosting 3 tours of Arroyo over the next 3 weeks for the Mariposa teachers (our district’s new 4th/5th grade school).
- This week our 4th grade students will have a special learning opportunity to focus on Digital Citizenship while learning how to be upstanders instead of bystanders. We will repeat this for 5th graders in the coming weeks.
- Our Spelling Bee finalist will be participating in their final round this Thursday at 5:00 in the Learning Commons
- Our Arroyo 4th grade students have broken ROPES participation records! We are thrilled with their level of engagement in this special program. We now have a very real need to increase the number of judges to accommodate our large Arroyo presence. If you are interested in helping us, judging will occur the evenings of Feb 8-10. Please contact Christina Carrier either via email at ROPES@scsdk8.org or by phone at 650-590-5935 with any questions.
- Our first ‘Coffee and Cocoa’ meeting was a great success. The students from rooms 15,16,17 and 18 introduced their parents to their friends and some new connections were made…just in time for winter break playdates!
I also wanted to share a few reminders for ways that you can get involved:
- Principal’s Coffee is this morning from 8:40-9:15 am in the Learning Commons! I will be sharing the results of our recent Arroyo survey that was distributed to our parents and students.
- Here are our upcoming Coffee and Cocoa gatherings from 8:00-8:30 (parents can linger): Thursday, Dec. 8th for Geiges, Sevilla, Murphy & Naughton; Friday, Dec. 16th for Taylor, Maccan, Robinson & Cheatham. I hope you can make it!
- Our next SSC meeting will be on Tuesday, December 6th at 3:30. We will be reviewing the Arroyo survey data and discussing next steps for our Arroyo LCAP goals.
Thank you for your involvement and for doing your part to build a strong Arroyo community!
Marie Crawford, Arroyo Principal
Science Fair Workshop #5
Science Fair Workshop #5: Data Analysis II & Poster Layout PLUS Parent Session
Tuesday, December 6 from 7-8:30 pm in the CMS/Arroyo library
Attend the second part of our Data Analysis discussion and learn how to arrange your sections on your poster display board. Effective placement of your poster will draw judges to your project and guide the reviewer through your story. Science Fair Project submission information will also be shared at this meeting.
FOR PARENTS: a second session will be conducted to help you help support your child through the final stages of the project.
As always, all are welcome to join any session! Helpful information (including workshop presentations) continue to be available on our website.
Shop and Support SCEF
Spread the holiday cheer and support our San Carlos public schools!
Buy your Christmas tree at Honey Bear Trees. SCEF will receive 15% of the price of any tree purchased at the Redwood City, San Carlos & San Mateo Event Center lots! Be sure to print and take the flyer here: http://scefkids.org/hbt and list SCEF as your beneficiary. Please note:Only cash or check accepted at the tree lots.
Use our Amazon Shopping Link. Go to our SCEF Amazon Smile page for all your Amazon.com purchases.
Visit our SCEF Marketplace. Every purchase makes a difference.
Being Inclusive in SCSD
During the past few years, staff at Sequoia Healthcare District composed newsletters to inform our community about various health topics that directly reflect the work going on in our San Carlos schools. The latest issue is packed with information about being inclusive and creating resilient, healthy communities. CLICK to read the latest issue.
New Guitar Classes at Arroyo/Central
Check out the SMART-E website for more information on the new GUITAR CLASS offered through Hummingbird Music on Tuesdays (Jan 10 – March 7, 2017)!
Looking for an After School Enrichment Class?
Check out the SMART-E website for a complete listing of after school Enrichment Classes for Winter 2017 (the week of January 9 through the week of March 6, 2017): sports, tennis, piano, ukulele, guitar, cooking, science, art, circuits and more! Call the SMART-E business office (590-5966) for more information.
San Carlos Children’s Theater Auditions Dec. 9 & 12
Perform on stage this spring in the San Carlos Children’s Theater comedy “The Fearsome Pirate Frank.” Students ages 8 and up are invited to audition for this crazy pirate spoof on either December 9 or 12. Filled with zombie pirates, a female pirate leader, mermaids, and even Spiderman, this show has something silly for everyone! Performers of all levels welcome. Rehearsals begin January 8. Get show details and reserve an audition spot at http://www.SanCarlosChildrensTheater.com.
Thank you to the Staff Appreciation Committee for wonderful breakfast treats provided to the Arroyo staff last week.
Thank you to all the parents and students who attended Arroyo’s first Coffee and Cocoa mixer last week. We are excited to bring all the families together and build a strong, integrated Arroyo family.
Thank you to all Arroyo volunteers for being flexible as we transition away from signup.com for classroom level volunteering. If you have any questions about upcoming shifts or responsibilities, please contact your room parent or the coordinator for that activity.
Thank you to Linh Chan for putting together our terrific Arroyo directory!
NOTE: Community Posts are not sponsored by or affiliated with the SCSD. Visit the Arroyo website Community Corner to learn more about the following:
- San Carlos K-6th Grade Youth Basketball
- Math Kangaroo Contest
- Magical Mindfulness Jar – Make Your Own!
- Softball Registration Open, Register Today!