In This Issue
- Principal’s Message
- SCEF News
- Arroyo Spelling Bee
- San Carlos Week of the Family
- LCAP Parent Advisory Committee
- Healthy Cities
Hello Arroyo Parents and Guardians,
Happy New Year! I hope that you all found time to rest and relax with your families during this busy holiday season. My family and I enjoyed a ‘stay-cation’ together at home, which was a lovely way to catch up on home life and complete some lingering projects. One of those projects was to support my eldest child, Ashleigh, in submitting all of her college applications, a milestone that we are all very happily celebrating! And I think with all of the extra sleep, my 13-year-old son, Ethan, may have grown at least another half inch. I hope that you were able to observe some of your own family milestones. It’s so wonderful to take the time to pause and reflect on all of the growth and learning that our wonderful young people are doing.
As we move into the new year, I would like to share our latest Arroyo news. Our Arroyo staff is thrilled to welcome Mrs. Nicole Murray to our team as the permanent teacher for the 4th graders in room 8. This class was previously taught by Ms. Heidi Umber, who resigned her position before the winter break. Please join me in welcoming Mrs. Murray to our Arroyo team.
Upcoming Dates to Keep in Mind:
- January 10: Spelling Bee in Learning Commons (5:30pm)
- January 10: Kid Power Workshop (Evite link: http://evite.me/zAcpJKtWSw)
- January 15: MLK Holiday
- January 18: SSC meeting
- January 23: 5th grade Math Placement Informational Meeting (6:30pm)
- February 5-7: ROPES presentations
- February 7: PTA meeting (7:00 pm)
- February 12-13: Student-Run Used Book Fair
Marie Crawford, Arroyo Principal
Welcome back! 2018 will bring lots of fun and engaging PTA programs and events. Garden, Art, Project Cornerstone kick back off this week and we are looking forward to the Used Book Fair (February) and the Arroyo Dance (May). Don’t forget to bring your used books to the front office for our students to sell to their classmates ($1-$3 each).
We are actively looking for parents who are interested in helping lead the PTA next year. There are many positions and opportunities and we can customize or job share them to make the effort palatable for anyone and everyone! Ask questions. Attend a meeting. We would love to talk to you about your interests and how we can match up a role that suits you. Please contact us via email@example.com.
Arroyo Spelling Bee
The Arroyo School Spelling Bee will take place on Wed. Jan. 10 at 5:30 pm in the Learning Commons. Come cheer on the 25 contestants as they vie for the title of Spelling Champion and the privilege of representing our school at the regional level.
San Carlos Week of the Family – January 26-February 3
Mark your calendars for this very special San Carlos tradition. Join us January 26 – Feb 3, for a variety of family fun events. Everything from Family Game Night, the City-Wide Roshambo Contest, A Guided Family Hike Day to Adult Trivia Night…and much more!
Please visit http://sancarlosweekofthefamily.org for a list of all events.
LCAP Parent Advisory Committee – Call for Participants
Annually, our school district develops an improvement plan called the Local Control Accountability Plan (LCAP). We are committed to engaging parents as an essential voice in our goal-setting process. This month, we are gathering representatives from each school site to form the 2018 LCAP Parent Advisory Committee. If you are interested in serving as your school site’s representative, please contact your school principal or Interim Assistant Superintendent, Allison Liner. The first meeting of the LCAP Parent Advisory Committee will be held on January 26, 2018. Meetings will include day and evening sessions.
- View the 2017-2018 LCAP here.
- Review resources from the California PTA – Get the facts about the Local Control Accountability Plan and the Local Control Funding Formula.
Parent Education Workshop Wed. January 17
- Topic: Strategies for Students who Struggle with Reading, Writing and/or Math
- Where: Central Middle School Library
- Time: 7:00-8:30 pm
- For: Parents and Healthy Cities Tutors. Topics will include math games to practice basic facts and tips to work with reluctant learners.
- Trainers: SCSD Teachers Melissa Brenner and Tracey Mitchell-Ardwan
- Hosted by: Healthy Cities Tutoring
To RSVP for the Parent Education Workshop, please click here: http://evite.me/Aaw1UAjUZK
Healthy Cities Orientation for New Volunteers Wed. January 17
- Topic: Learn the basics on becoming a one-on-one Healthy Cities tutor
- Where: Central Middle School Library
- Time: 6:15-7:00 pm
- For: Volunteers age 14-95 are welcome and needed at all of our schools
Questions: email: firstname.lastname@example.org or call 650-508-7327
Community posts are not sponsored by SCSD. Visit the Arroyo website Community Corner to learn more about the following:
- Nazareth Ice Oasis San Mateo is now open!