In This Issue
- Principal’s Message
- PTA News
- SCEF News
- Legarza Summer Camp Discounts
Hello Parents and Guardians,
Focusing on Creativity & Innovation
This week I would like to focus my message on Creativity & Innovation, which really is the spark that ignites true passion for learning and creating. The way that we define Creativity & Innovation for our students is: To share ideas courageously, pursue new paths of thinking, refine prototypes, and design innovative solutions. In order for our students do this, they need to routinely practice new approaches to thinking, problem solving, and collaboration, while fully accepting ownership of their product or solution. This also means that as educators we need to do things differently, where we become the facilitators of the learning experience, guiding the process and allowing students to develop their agency as creative problem solvers and innovators. We do this through a variety of approaches:
- Providing students with meaningful challenges or problems that do not have one specific solution, but ample opportunities to iterate and rework their ideas.
- Placing an emphasis on approaches that develop a ‘growth mindset’ towards learning, such as using failure as a learning tool and emphasizing that a specific goal or solution has not been achieved ‘yet’ but is attainable .
- Utilizing Design Thinking strategies that are learned and practiced in Design class and Makerspace.
- Engaging in Project Based Learning that requires creativity and innovation to solve the ‘driving question’.
These practices lead to the development of strong creativity and innovation skills for our students, which leads to passionate, engaged learners who continue to question and create because they are empowered to do so.
I hope that you are all able to come celebrate the creativity of our students by attending their student run talent show on June 2nd at 6:00pm. This is one of the many ways that we are able to see our students’ creativity and innovation in action!
Assessing Creativity and Innovation:
Resources about Creativity and Innovation:
- Growth Mindset: http://www.edweek.org/ew/articles/2015/09/23/carol-dweck-revisits-the-growth-mindset.html
- Sir Ken Robinson on Creativity: https://ww2.kqed.org/mindshift/2015/04/22/sir-ken-robinson-creativity-is-in-everything-especially-teaching/
- Creativity strategies for home and school: http://blog.ed.ted.com/2015/05/08/10-ways-to-teach-creativity-in-the-classroom/
- NEA Guide to the Four ‘Cs’: http://www.nea.org/assets/docs/A-Guide-to-Four-Cs.pdf
- June 2nd: Arroyo Talent Show & Family Night 6:00pm
- June 13 & 14 minimum days- Please plan accordingly!
Marie Crawford, Arroyo Principal
Year end celebrations for Arroyo have been planned. Come join the fun!
Friday, June 2 -Talent Show at 6:00, Food Trucks at 6:45 in front of Mustang Hall. Come cheer on your classmates and then enjoy dinner with family and friends and celebrate a great first year at Arroyo.
Wednesday, June 14 – Field day for students 10:30 – 12:30. Volunteer here: http://signup.com/go/cJBSfqb
Thank you to all the volunteers who attended our Volunteer Recognition Event last week. We appreciate everything you do to make Arroyo a welcoming and exciting place to learn and grow.
We are busy planning next year. Do you want to get involved? Have a question? Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
We are only $600,000 away from meeting our fundraising goal for this year!
Please donate what you can to our Annual Fund. Our suggested donation is $1,200 per student, but all gifts–large or small–will help us reach our goal. Donate now at: https://scefkids.org/donate-today/
San Carlos Night at the Giants
June 9th is San Carlos night at AT&T park. Watch the SF Giants take on the Minnesota Twins.
Tickets are available now at the San Carlos Youth Center. $50 per ticket, cash or check only. All proceeds benefit San Carlos Parks and Rec and SCEF.
SCEF Seeking Bookkeeper
Are you savvy with numbers? Would you like to work for SCEF? We are seeking a bookkeeper! More information including how to apply can be found here: http://scefkids.org/bookkeeper
Legarza Summer Camp Discounts
Join us for the 28th year of the “Bay Area’s Best Camp!” Legarza Camps give children the knowledge and motivation they need to achieve their personal best in sport and life.
Check out one of our Basketball, Volleyball or All-Sports camps in and around San Carlos.
Use Code: SCSD50 before June 1 to get $50 off, when you visit our website: www.LegarzaSports.org or Call: 415/334-3333
Visit the Arroyo website Community Corner to learn more about the following:
- Parent Education: Teen Crisis Line
- Juventus Sport Club 2017 Fall Tryout
- 12U Local USTA Junior Tennis Team League
- Design Code Build at CHM this June!
- Susan Jackson Piano Instructor