In This Issue
- Principal’s Message
- LunchMaster December Orders
- Big Kid Helpers Needed for BA Holiday Boutique
- New Guitar Classes at Arroyo/Central
- Support SCEF with Honey Bear Tree Purchases
Hello Arroyo Parents and Guardian,
I hope that all of you enjoyed last week’s Thanksgiving Break. I love having the time to catch up with family and friends and reflect on the many blessings in our lives. One area that I feel enormous gratitude is for the Arroyo community. Thank you for being a part of this vibrant community!
I would like to share a few plans to support one of the goals that the Arroyo team has set for the year around communication and community building. This is the actual goal:
Explore communication strategies that will help to inform, support, and strengthen the Arroyo community (through parent education, community conversations, targeted events, etc.)
Here are some upcoming events that we have developed, in collaboration with School Site Council and PTA to help build a stronger Arroyo Community:
- Coffee and Cocoa Gatherings: A morning gathering in the Arroyo Learning Commons/ Wild Zone, designed to encourage families from the smaller 4th and 5th grade teams to meet each other and their child’s new friends. We’ll have some fun ‘mixer strategies’ to help make new connections. If these are a hit, we’ll schedule more.
- 2nd Wednesday Lunch Meet Up: Come bring lunch to share with your child every 2nd Wednesday of the month, right after dismissal. We’ll set out our composting bins, trash cans, picnic blankets and play equipment so you can enjoy lunch with your child and meet some of their friends and families. This is really informal…just bring your lunch and enjoy (weather permitting)! Dates: 12/14, 1/11, 2/8, 3/8, 4/19*, 5/10 (*April 19th is the 3rd Wednesday, due to Spring Break on 4/12)
- Principal’s Coffee: Our next Principal’s Coffee will be on Monday, December 5th from 8:40-9:15 am. I will be sharing the results of our recent Arroyo survey that was distributed to our parents and students. This will take place in the Learning Commons.
Friday, Dec. 2nd – 8:00-8:30 (parents can stay till 9:00am)
Classrooms: Mooney, Carroll, Stewart, Crettol
Thursday, Dec. 8th – 8:00-8:30 (parents can stay till 9:00)
Classrooms: Geiges, Sevilla, Murphy & Naughton
Friday, Dec. 16th – 8:00-8:30 (parents can stay till 9:00)
Classrooms: Taylor, Maccan, Robinson & Cheatham
We want volunteering at Arroyo to be as easy as possible for teachers, students, parents, and program coordinators. We tried Signup.com, but based on parent feedback, we understand it was not the right solution for classroom level volunteering. As a result, we are going to move away from using Signup.com for class-related volunteering (except the garden). This includes Project Cornerstone, Art in Action, the library, and Maker Space. Moving forward, program coordinators and room parents will work together to coordinate volunteers needed for each time slot. Please be patient as we shift to this new approach, and thank you for your feedback and support as we try new approaches this first year and tweak things based on key learnings!
Remember to Order Lunch
December is Just Around the Corner!
The December Menu Starts on Thursday so PLACE YOUR LUNCH ORDER NOW.
Warm up your child at lunch with LunchMaster’s homemade Veggie Baked Beans and Cornbread (offered on December 6th) and Chicken Tortilla Soup & Chips (offered on December 13th). Order lunch today for all of December!
Click https://eatnow.thelunchmaster.com to order now or to register for a LunchMaster account.
Big Kid Helpers Needed for BA Holiday Boutique
Calling all Arroyo students looking for a fun community service project, especially from the BA alums… The Brittan Acres Holiday Boutique needs 32 big kid helpers on Saturday Dec. 3rd. It’s a great way for our Arroyo kids to help younger kids and feel their BA and Arroyo pride. If interested, a few helpers are needed for setting up for the pre-sale on Friday afternoon, too.
Here is the link to sign up: http://signup.com/go/BMyuLH
New Guitar Classes at Arroyo/Central
Check out the SMART-E website for more information on the new GUITAR CLASS offered through Hummingbird Music on Tuesdays (Jan 10 – March 7, 2017)!
Buy your Christmas Tree at Honey Bear Trees!
SCEF will receive 15% of the price of any tree purchased at the Redwood City, San Carlos & San Mateo Event Center lots! A great way to give back to SCEF this holiday season!
Be sure to print and take the flyer here: http://scefkids.org/hbt
and list SCEF as your beneficiary.
Please check your child’s backpack this week for a yellow flyer about Stampede & Soar donations. Thanks to all of the families who helped support Central Arroyo PTA’s first Stampede & Soar fundraiser to-date. We made great progress towards our goal, but we still need to raise $15,000 by December 16th. Help fill the gap to reach our $75,000 goal and ensure that we can continue to fund planned programs.
Ways to donate:
Drop a check addressed to “Central Arroyo PTA” in an envelope at either school office
Mail a check addressed to “Central Arroyo PTA” to: Arroyo School, 1710 Arroyo Ave., San Carlos, CA 94070
Please take a moment to help us continue to fund important programs and initiatives like Art in Action, the Arroyo Garden, books for the library, teacher classroom grants, Healthy Cities Tutoring grants and staff appreciation.
Visit the Arroyo website Community Corner to learn more about the following:
- Spring Comedy Auditions
- San Carlos K-6th Grade Youth Basketball